My husband and the pups headed out to the lake this weekend leaving me an empty house and lots of time. I took the opportunity to tackle some sewing projects on my list - specifically the roman shades for the nursery. Since the sewing machine has been collecting dust lately I thought it best to warm up on some practice projects - bibs and burp cloths. Once I started on those I just couldn't stop. I still have yet to start the roman shades.
They were actually so easy to make. They are a great beginner sewing project and perfect for scrap fabric.
For the bib I used the Purlbee's Liberty Bib pattern.
I used several different fabrics that I had laying around. Cotton for the front and then either a terry cloth, fleece or soft blanket material for the backing.
Once I cut out the pattern I laid my fabric with the right sides facing each other and then folded the fabric in half. I also folded the pattern in half and laid it on the fabric with the folded sides facing eachother. I traced the pattern with chalk leaving enough of an allowance for a nice seam. Oh and note in the middle picture that before tracing I did pin my fabrics together so they didn't move as I traced and cut out the pattern.
Once the bib is cut out unfold it, repin along the edges and sew all around making sure to leave at least a 2 inch gap for pulling your bib right side out.
Once the bib is right side out, sew along the edge again making sure to sew the gap closed.
Add a snap or some velcro to the neck and you are done!
The burp cloths are even easier. I just cut the same cotton fabric and the same backings and sewed them the same way I did the bib but in varying sizes.
I actually am excited for my baby to drool and spit up so I can use these adorable burp cloths.
My last quick project before tackling the roman shades was a pillow for the glider in the nursery using the same fabric as the roman shades.
I love how this fabric looks in the room. I think the roman shades will be perfect in there.
I have tackled pillows before using a zipper but this time around I decided to follow the tutorial from Jenny Steffens Hobick blog.
I will never make a pillow any other way. It literally took me minutes to put this pillow case together! I'm already looking for fabric to recover every pillow in my house.
Here is a view of the back of the pillow. You can kind of see the slit where the pillow slips in.
I hope you give some of these projects a try. Especially if you are new to sewing and looking for some easy projects to practice.
I will be back soon with some updates on the roman shades.