July 19, 2011

I stripped a Pottery Barn table


Don't kill me.......I had to do it.  
I had to strip my PB dining room table. Before you get too disturbed let me tell you that it was a floor sample that we got for $300 when we first got married.  It has served us well but I really can't stand how dark it is.  Our house is so small and has teeny, tiny windows that are totally blocked by trees so we don't get much natural light and all the dark furniture in our house totally just sucked the life out of the room.

Here is the original.




Besides the fact that the original picture was taken at dusk and this is in broad daylight, I think it makes a huge difference.  I definitely could have stripped more of the stain but I really love the look of the old, dirty wood.  I would hate for it to look new.  I want it to kind of look like an old farm table I found at a flea market or even an old, abandoned farm house.


Some day we are going to replace the hardwood with something darker and more contemporary so I think the table will pop against that.  That isn't happening for a long time though.

It really was not hard to strip the table at all.  I used an electronic sander for the top of the table and then stripper for the rest.  I just slathered it on with a paint brush and scraped away.


It came off in one easy swipe.


Gloop.


I ended up buying some metal, scratch pads for the legs and that was the best way to strip the stain in those tight spaces.



So for a few dollars and a few dollars you can transform any piece of wood furniture in your home.  
You can even make something new look old.

Now I just need to figure out something with the chairs and that bench oh that light too.  A few ideas are running through my head.......


Thanks for stopping by!

9 comments:

Jacqueline said...

I love it the way it is now...its okay to strip pottery bard furniture....I also like your floors, have you ever thought of staining them darker?

Unknown said...

That was the original plan, to stain them a dark color but they are just in terrible shape. Between our dogs and the age of the house they have seen better days. Fortunately it is a pretty small room so I think in a few years we'll be able to replace them. Thanks!

Muddaritaville said...

I love the way the table looks stripped!

cal+claire said...

I found your blog through a repin on Pinterest - love it! Thanks for the diy help!

Anonymous said...

I love it!! I too am thinking about doing this with our (full price!!) PB dinning table but had to see someone else do it first. Thanks for the inspiration and instructions! Now to talk my hubby into it!

Danielangelena said...

A greenhouse is a great add-on to any garden and enables you to widen the kinds of plants that you are able to grow in your garden. Elite Greenhouses are produced in Bolton, Lancashire, since they have been for over 60 decades. Click here to get more information about elite greenhouses.

Anonymous said...

I have a black PB table and chairs and plan to do the exact same thing. Thinking of spray-painting the chairs white. Thank you for posting.

Anonymous said...

I love it but have some questions. What brand/ type of stripper did you I use. I stripped a small piece of furniture once and could get a lot of it off. Second did you wax this to protect it? Thanks for your reply.

Anonymous said...

I love what you've done with your table! Thanks for posting how you did this. I have a Pottery Barn wood console table that's over 15 years old. I love the style. But need to repair the to that scratched badly and would love a lighter walnut finish. Thanks for inspiring me to go for it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...